I’m not sure what to react after hearing the news of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III confirming that we are already on the second wave of COVID-19 outbreak.
Duque revealed this during the hybrid hearing at the senate on Wednesday.
“Actually, we are on the second wave. The first wave started, happened some time in January when we had cases on 3 Chinese nationals from Wuhan,” Duque told senators.
He was referring to the first batch of infections detected here, all in patients from Wuhan City, China, where the coronavirus pandemic began.
Dr. John Wong of Epimetrics Inc., previously said on May 7 during DOH online briefing that the Philippines was already on the second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak.
And on Wednesday afternoon, Wong, explained that the second wave started during the first week of March.
Tanong ko lang, may nagawa ba sila para mapigilan yung first wave?
Moving on to another topic. Duque said that there is still no evidence to show that people positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) but do not manifest symptoms can infect others, quoting an earlier statement from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Duque made the comment after he was asked about the DOH’s strategies in detecting asymptomatic people or “silent spreaders” of the respiratory disease.